Sunday, April 14, 2013

Japanese Sunshine gets brewed

Earlier today I brewed a wheat beer based on a recipe I brewed last year. I'm calling it Japanese Sunshine. It's a wheat ale fermented with a Belgian yeast strain (Wyeast 3711 French Saison) made using a partial mash consisting of Belgian Pils malt, flaked wheat and flaked rice along with Munton's wheat malt extract and Briess pilsner malt extract. The hopping schedule included solely Japanese Sorachi Ace hop pellets at mashing (first wort), 20 and 15 minutes. (A half-ounce at 20 minutes and an ounce and at 15 minutes with a half-ounce for first wort hopping.) I was thinking of adding some spices for this beer, but I've left it up to the yeast and hops for complexity. The temperature in the fermentorium is currently 72-73 degrees, which should make this yeast reasonably happy, throwing s fair amount of esters.

I'm feeling like I really need to ramp up my brewing schedule in the next few weeks. I'm thinking a full on IPA should be in the mix; or maybe a "Belgian" IPA. I'm also thinking about an American wheat. Ideas?

No comments: