Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Tasting the spiced saison, Japansese Sunshine II gets brewed

My spiced saison that I brewed awhile back is coming along nicely. It's pale, hazy and pours with a tremendous fluffy, rocky head and has a very complex aroma. It's pretty beer when poured in a tulip glass. At first I thought I was getting some phenols in the nose, but I think it's just the mad combination of spices I used that include chamomile, cumin, coriander, lavender and black peppercorns. I posted the recipe for this beer in one of my earlier posts below.

 Meanwhile, I've brewed another batch of what I'm calling Japanese Sunshine. I've previously referred to this beer as my Franco-Japanese saison, but now I've tweaked the recipe to make it even more Japanese, by using not just Sorachi Ace hops, but flaked rice. The result is a farmhouse-style ale that is very pale, surprisingly clear and also rather estery for a saison. There is an earthy, complex character and a bitter finish. The mouthfeel is very light and dry. I used two-thirds of priming (corn) sugar which after some thought seemed like not quite enough, so I added a couple Munton's Carb Tabs to each bottle. I'm real curious as to how the carbonation level will turn out. I should have measured the sugar more carefully. I also split my bottling into two sessions. I scrubbed and cleaned the bottles last night, as well as prepared the priming solution, which I kept in the refrigerator, covered overnight. Tonight I sanitized the bottles and all my other equipment. I decided not to save the yeast from the batch as I have a couple more packs of yeast in the fridge.

Here's the recipe for Japanese Sunshine:


BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Japanese Sunshine II
Brewer: Marc
Asst Brewer:
Style: Saison
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal    
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.041 SG
Estimated Color: 4.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU    
3.00 lb       Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)               Dry Extract  37.50 %    
3.00 lb       Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)             Grain        37.50 %    
1.00 lb       Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                    Grain        12.50 %    
0.25 lb       Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)                   Grain        3.13 %      
2.00 oz       Sorachi Ace [10.50 %]  (22 min)           Hops         28.0 IBU    
0.75 lb       Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM)              Sugar        9.38 %      
1 Pkgs        Belgian Saison (Wyeast Labs #3724) [CulturYeast-Ale                


Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 4.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp  
75 min        Mash In            Add 5.31 qt of water at 161.4 F     150.0 F    


Notes:
------
7/4/12 - A bit briney-smoky at first in the nose (as soon as I have remove the lid to the fermenter.) Incredibly pale, staw color, possible the palest beer I've made. Slight lemon scent. Touch of plastic/phenol (this is all in the nose.) Tastes very light, a touch smoky and not as bitter as expected. Extremely refreshing! Will be ready for more 100-degree days with this one.
7/18/12 - Bottled. Very pale color. Clear. Estery. Earthy and bitter in the finish. Very light mouthfeel, very dry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: