Monday, September 26, 2011

Brewing "Bitter" Flowers

Brewed a simplified and most likely hoppier version of the Flowers saison today. For a quick weeknight brew, I cut out the specialty malts and substituted some amber extract. I also increased the bittering hops by an ounce and dropped out the Strisselspalt in favor of all Crystal. I also erred on my "water needed" calcuations and ended up with six gallons in my seven-gallon fermenter. Hopefully, this won't be a problem. I also changed the yeast up, using Wyeast 3711 instead of 3724, since it's cooling off quite a bit in the kitchen. The ambient temperature is now 75 degrees, but I expect it to get even cooler in the next few days. I've used the 3711 strain before at this temperature and was amazed at how attenuative it was for not fermenting very warm. We'll see what happens, eh? So I cracked open the first bottle of my Dash the Curry Pale Ale, as a tribute to the prior batch, and I was pleased with it. The name comes from an English expression and a M.I.A. song, but I picked the name because I added a dash of Garam Masala. This spice blend included peppercorns, mace, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, star anise, cardamom, cloves and coriander. I also added an additional amount of coriander with the Garam Masala. All the spices were added at 10-15 minutes left in the 60-minute boil. I threw caution to the wind and pitched an almost two-year-old packed of Safbrew T-58 yeast from Fermentis. So far (after only a couple weeks) the beer taste a little bit too much like a wheat beer with a bit too much banana and clove, but there's enough other stuff going on (no doubt from the spices and Styrian Golding hops) that it's okay.

No comments: