Monday, February 21, 2011

Not Quite a Sticke

Okay, well it's not quite a Sticke Alt but it's a little hoppier (and actually lighter, not darker) than my last batch of Alt-a-like ale brewed with Wyeast #1010. The first batch is light brown to amber and hazy with just a little bit of hop Strisselspalt hop aroma with a touch of chocolate. This first batch turned out silky smooth with caramel malt flavors balanced by a little bit of chocolate malt and a dusty, dry, bitter hop finish. No real perceived hop flavor, but a modest bitterness. I've been most impressed with the mouthfeel of this beer and I credit the three weeks of lagering at near freezing and the use of Weyermann malts. The exceptionally low alcohol of four percent also makes this beer eminently quaffable. It shall not last.

No Weyermann malts in the second batch, but the same yeast, re-pitched. I skipped the dark Carafa malts and stuck with a combination of Briess amber dry malt extract and a pound of 60L crystal. Instead of Strisselspalt and Crystal, I used Northern Brewer for bittering and Styrian Goldings (from Slovenia) for flavoring. I probably should of dry-hopped this beer for more of Sticke alt presentation, but I suppose I am impatient. As a result, I would put this beer somewhere between a traditional Dusseldorf Alt and a Sticke Alt. I think it will be a good Spring beer. All that said, I think I need to use Weyermann malts for these type of beers. The Weyermann malt seems to be of a very high quality and makes very silky smooth ales.

No comments: