Sunday, January 09, 2011

German Brown (Alt) Ale Bottled

Racked the German brown ale (a.k.a. Altbier) this evening and it was a bit stinky. Yes, stinky...but I'm not worried because I've read that the yeast I used (Wyeast 1010) can be that way initially. It's a slightly sulphur-like smell that I'm told will go away with some lagering and it is lagering that I intend to do. I'm knocking around the idea of moving the wort (heavy five-gallon glass carboy) to another location (friend's house) where the temps are considerably cooler than they are in my kitchen. The temperature in this area seems to fluctuate a bit but stays cooler than 55 and doesn't get colder than 38 degrees Fahrenheit. Needless to say, I'm wondering if anybody out there has ever moved fermenting beer to another location to lager and how it worked it out. I'm otherwise fairly pleased with how the batch tastes so far. There is a heavy caramel; almost roast coffee with cream note in the beer which I find interesting and which I'm sure is due to the dehusked Carafa I malt.

As I'm writing this I'm sipping on a sort of spiced wheat beer I made back in July. It is spiced with orange peel, lemon peel, coriander and about three tablespoons of black pepper. I also used the Safbrew T-58 yeast which is supposed to add some spiciness, but I think that the yeast esters are blown away by the black pepper.For that matter, the lemon and orange seems to be blown away by the black pepper at this point, too. Although, upon reflection the orange peel is coming through pretty good up front. If I were to brew this recipe again I probably wouldn't change too much accept maybe add even more orange peel.

Of course, as always, I'm looking forward to the next batch. I had planned on "pigging" the Alt that I have in the secondary right now but I might just bottle it so I can have the Party Pigs ready for an all Fuggles bitter.

No comments: