Monday, January 31, 2011

Strisselspalt Alt Bottled

Bottled the Alt last night after three weeks of cold conditioning down to near freezing. Filled 22 22-ounce bottles and two 12-ounce stubbies. I didn't add any additional yeast, so hopefully it's still viable. I guess I'll find out in a week or so when I pop the top off one of the bottles. The flat beer out of the secondary fermenter tasted pretty good. I poured the hydrometer sample into my Frankenheim cartridge (tumbler.) The beer was light brown to amber and yeasty hazy (of course.) No real evidence of dry hopping. Aroma was neutral. Touch of chocolate in the aroma. The beer is real smooth with caramel malt flavors balanced by a little bit of chocolate malt and a dusty hop bitterness. Finish is dry. No real noticeable hop flavor, but malt is balanced by a very light anise-like flavor, no doubt from the Strisselspalt hops. God willing this beer will be quite good once it's carbonated. I saved the yeast and I'm thinking of brewing another alt or slight bigger, hoppier one, but I might keep it secret....

No comments: