Monday, December 06, 2010

Winter Dream Brown Ale (porter?) Tasting


First time after bottling that I'm trying what I plan on calling Winter Dream Brown Ale. This beer, fermented with Wyeast 3787, is lighter in color than I anticipated. I was shooting for more of a porter, but it tastes okay. There really aren't any major flaws aside from being a bit undercarbed and there being a slight huskiness to the finish. There is a nice anise flavor complimented by some toffee and caramel flavors with a roasted coffee edge. The mouthfeel is very smooth. The estimated 7.5 percent alcohol is masked quite well. I'd like to try this recipe again adding more sugar (both in the boil and for priming.) I probably wouldn't change anything else. Letting the rest of the bottles sit for awhile to let the flavors meld a bit more.

No comments: