Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Party Pig Problems

Ack. I can be so impatient sometimes. Up a bit too late after encountering problems with one of my Party Pigs. I heard a little "pop" (which normally is a good thing when setting up a Party Pig) but it was actually one of the screws that I may have over-tightened and stripped. Needless to say I couldn't get a good seal and pressurize the little piggy so I opted to use my auto-siphon to fill as many 22-ounce bottles as I could. I'd already added priming sugar and a half-ounce of Kent Goldings pellets, but I figured "what the heck" and attempted to bottle anyway. It went about as well as it could since I really couldn't stop the flow of the siphon (a lot of beer ended up on the floor) but I did end up with 10 bottles filled, and of course, one full Party Pig. This five-gallon batch is a pale ale that I decided to brew about eight days ago on a bit of a whim: it's just six pounds of DME, one pound of 60L crystal malt, a half ounce of Chinook hops added at 40-minutes left in a 60-minute boil and three ounces added (hop bursting) at 15 minutes left in the boil. I fermented this mixture with Fermentis SafAle US-05. I also added an ounce of dry hops in the pig(s). It will be interesting to see if the hops settle out in the half of the batch I bottled but intended to pig or if they float in the neck.
My first pour of this beer (hydrometer sample) smelled a bit cheesy, but this did fade. The beer is very young so I'm hopeful that this will subside or that the dry hops will improve the aroma. Other than that the bitterness was potent but remarkably smooth; it sort of had accumulated with each sip. I credit this to the hop bursting, but I could be wrong. Of course, I realize that packaging the beer after just eight days could be a bit too soon, but I hit my expected final gravity so I threw caution to the wind (I normally let the primary ferment go for 10 days.)

No comments: