Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Reflections on Cellaring

I love to cellar beer and watch it change over time, but there are many beers that don't age very well. I'm sad to say that one of my homebrewed Saisons is fitting this category. A Saison from summer 2009 is not holding up too well, at least in the flavor department. Sure, when it's poured the head is fantastic, but the hops have pretty much all but disappeared from this brew and the esters, too. The result is something that tastes more like a strong Euro lager than a Saison or farmhouse ale. Proof I guess that maybe Saisons should be consumed within a year to 15 months and more than two years after bottling is too much. Ah, but try again Mr. Morency! I look back at my records and this particular brew is calculated to be only 31 IBUs which over time I suppose could really fade. I think more hops or some Brettanomyces or other bugs that keep contributing flavor changes over time is in order on future cellared Saisons.

No comments: