Thursday, September 02, 2010

Dry Hopping in the Primary

Oh, my...how easy it is to get behind in posting to a blog.

I've brewed another batch of Saison with yeast from the Short's Nicie Spicie-inspired brew. I tried something I haven't done before and fermented and dry hopped in the primary only. The result so far is interesting; not that much additional hop aroma (left the hops in for about five days) but perhaps some additional hop flavor. I expected less hop aroma that dry hopping in the secondary, but I was surprised by the perceived increase in hop flavor compared to my hydrometer sample that I tasted a few days earlier. I dry hopped with Styrian Goldings so the nose is slightly spicy. The bittering and other flavoring hops were Strisselspalt, Chinook and Amarillo Gold. The rest of the recipe can be found here.

My original idea was something along the lines of an IPA crossed with a Saison or something like De Ranke XX Bitter. I've decided to be a follower on the Belgian IPA trend mostly due to the fact that the temperature in my kitchen (which is where I ferment my beers) stays around 80 degrees or warmer this time of year. Sure, I love spicy, earthy farmhouse ales, but I like hops, too. So why not combine the two? This still fits my brewing pattern of one malty beer followed by a hoppy one.

1 comment:

Marc said...

Forgot to mention that I added some sugar to "dry out" this beer. I've been using a lot of cane sugar recently but this time I used some Jaggery (an Indian type of semi-solid molasses typically formed into a fez shape.) It's a very earthy tasting sugar that is perhaps slightly buttery, too. I think its addition to this brew should help add some complexity. We shall see.