Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Dupont Strain Tests My Patience

My most recent saison ale is still slowly fermenting, but at least it's fermenting. (I'm using the Wyeast 3724 Dupont strain and it tends to get stuck and start again.) I've had this beer in plastic (bucket) for 18 days, which some would say is way too long, but I'm betting that since the yeast is still rather active (airlock is bubbling) that it'll be fine.

I was quite happy that I found some Sierra Nevada Torpedo at my local grocery store this week. As an "Extra" IPA it has a very smooth and pleasant hop profile: it's "leafy" hop profile with smooth, but assertive bitternes. I gave it a solid "A" on Beer Advocate. Another IPA I can recommend that I've had lately is New Holland Mad Hatter. Not as bitter as the Torpedo and not as good as my BA review linked above, but more sessionable at 5.8 percent versus 7.2 percent ABV. I'm a bit partial to it because it's more local than the Sierra Nevada and I like that's it has less alcohol, but I'm still a sucker for Sierra Nevada.

Another beer I've had lately is a seasonal brew from Trader Joe's called Summer Brew. It's made by Gordon Biersch for the eclectic grocery store chain and it's quite affordable at $6 a six-pack. I had this beer last summer when TJ's debuted it and I think I was more impressed with it then than I am now. It's a decent summer beer, a little too fruity but not quite dry enough for me as Kolsch-style beer.

No comments: