Saturday, April 17, 2010

Ambitious Amber Almost Drained

Sampled a few homebrews today. My Party Pig of Ambitious Amber is almost drained. Had a few pulls of it while watching the White Sox game on Fox today until I started falling asleep. Old man. Later in the evening I ran out to Binny's and picked up a bottle of Goose Island Sofie, which I enjoyed. I especially liked the tartness; I felt it was just about right and not over done. A really tasty saison-type beer that had me wondering if the Sofie is what the old saisons, the ones produced on the small farms in Belgium before the 1950s tasted like -- refreshing and light, but tart, if not a bit funky.
I then migrated from the Sofie to one of my homebrews, Montmorency Cherry Ale. I brewed it back in 2008. I basically added one gallon of tart cherry juice to a saison recipe (about 90 Belgian pils malt, 10 percent wheat), some Hallertau hops and Wyeast 3822 Ingelmunster Yeast. This beer is holding up pretty well. It's not quite as dry as I would it be, but the tart cherry flavor is quite nice. There's cherry in the nose and a little bit of tannin in the finish. I think I have a little more than a half case left of this beer that will be three years old in June. (It is pictured to the right.)

No comments: