Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Pineapple Mint?

A new brew is fermenting in the kitchen. It's a middle of the road (in terms of alcohol) saison brewed with black pepper and pineapple mint, along with some pilsner malt, torrefied wheat, Strisselspalt hops and Wyeast 3711 French Saison yeast. It's been percolating for about five days now and I intend to transfer to the secondary with some more Strisselspalt hop pellets. In the meantime I've been enjoying my Ambitious Amber from one of my Party Pigs, but recently I've (*gasp*) beem diluting each pint with a little bit of bottled spring water. Just a touch too thick I guess and not quite dry enough. I'd like to try this recipe again (reworked) to see if I can get it where I like it. This probably won't happen too soon though, as it's getting warmer and prime-time for saison brewing. Those saison yeasts love the temps in 80s (which is what my kitchen will be throughout summer.) I've found that the saisons I brew always taste better the year after they're brewed, too. (See my tweets from earlier today.)

No comments: