Monday, January 04, 2010

Bottled up the "West Coast" Porter the other night (see my Twitter feed) and it went pretty well, except for the fact that I had to use cane sugar instead of corn sugar. How is this a potential problem? Well I used just as much cane sugar as I would dextrose, which means that my beer may be a little over-carbonated. Turns out that you don't need to use as much cane sugar as corn sugar (see the following thread on Homebrew Talk.) I figure I'll closely monitor the progress the carbonating beer and move as much of it to a colder (I'm thinking 40-60 degrees F.) environment.

After tasting this beer and looking back at the recipe I realize I really hopped the heck out of it. Not only is there bitterness, but a harsh hop spiciness that is almost acidic. Ideally, the hops will fade a bit and this will be a more drinkable brew. If not, I still have some more dark grains (one pound of roasted barley and another half pound of black patent) that I could use in another dark beer.

No comments: