Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Cherry stout sleeps

Not much brewing has been going on in the past couple of months as made evident by my lack of updates here. Most of the updates of what and where I've been drinking have been posted to my Twitter account. I guess it's easier to post to Twitter than an "old-fashioned" blog. The speed of life I suppose.

I did manage to brew about a month ago. I bought some concentrated cherry juice and decided to brew a cherry stout. This is something I've done off and on for a few years. I get cherry juice from a farm stand in Northern Michigan every other year or so and I usually add it to stout. Last year I made a Cherry Saison (which I still have in bottles), but this year it's back to the stout.

This stout, fermented with Wyeast 3522, is sitting in the secondary now and ready to be bottled. I intend on working some bottling into my schedule this upcoming Friday. Details on the recipe are as follows:

------------------------------

Brewing Date: Sunday September 06, 2009
Recipe: Cherry Stout

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 3.00
Anticipated OG: 1.074 Plato: 17.90
Anticipated SRM: 41.0
Anticipated IBU: 30.0
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Actual OG: 1.083 Plato: 20.00


Grain/Extract/Sugar
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
6.00 lbs. Muntons DME - Amber
1.00 lbs. Briess DME- Weizen
1.00 lbs. Chocolate Malt
0.75 lbs. Turbinado Sugar
0.38 lbs. Roasted Barley


Hops
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Spalter Select Pellets 6.20 AA for 60 min.
0.50 oz. Spalter Select Pellets 6.20 AA 5.7 for 30 min.
0.50 oz. Spalter Select Pellets 6.20 AA 1.9 for 5 min.


Extras
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Oz Irish Moss at 15 Min until the end of the boil
64 Oz Cherry Juice Concentrate (no sugar added)

Yeast
-----

WYeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes

No comments: