Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Two fermenters going....maybe a third?

I have two beers fermenting right now. One is the three-gallon saison, which is in a carboy (secondary) with dry hops and the dregs of one 750-ml bottle of Saison DuPont. The other beer that is fermenting is a simple extract hoppy "American-style" wheat beer. It's just one four-pound can of Alexander's Wheat Malt Extract and some Amarillo hops, fermented with SafAle US-05. I tasted it the other day (after five days fermentation) and it was rather bitter with not as much late hop flavor than I wanted, but dry hopping should fix that. The beer wasn't ready to packaged yet (the gravity was a few points too high) so I'm occasionally rousing the fermenter (once every couple days) to see if gets any drier. Meanwhile, I'm still enjoying red ale from the Party Pig. The wheat beer will be packaged in my other Party Pig and maybe a couple bottes, while the Saison will be bottled in 22s. Part of me wants to get a third fermenter going with another beer while the weather is still cool (I have another carboy and the wheat beer should be ready to package later this week).

No comments: