Monday, March 31, 2008

Saison Morency 2008

Brewed a three-gallon batch of saison a couple weeks ago and I racked it to the secondary today with some additional Spalter dry hops. It's a simple beer: I infusion mashed three pounds of Pilsner malt along with seven ounces of flaked wheat, added two pounds of Briess Pilsen dry malt extract and a half ounce of Spalter hops at the start the boil, another half-ounce at 15 minutes left in the boil and an ounce for the last two minutes. I neglected to add some Irish Moss for his batch, which could explain why it's cloudy. I'm guessing I'm going to end up filling 10 to 12 22-ounce bottles with this batch. That's not a lot of beer, but I like the trade off of better hop utilization and more control over color that is achieved with full wort boil.

However, if I keep my batches to three to four gallons, I'm going to have brew more often. I intend on saving some time by brewing an extract batch here and there, which is what I plan on doing later this week. I picked up a four-pound can of Alexander's Wheat Malt (liquid) today and plan on making 3 to 3.5 gallon batch with that extract and some Amarillo hops, keeping a lot of the hops late in the boil for a big hop aroma and spicy character, keeping the IBUs around 30 and original gravity around 1.042. I'm hoping that I can the beer in a Party Pig and probably a few bottles in 10-14 days.

No comments: