Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Search for Quality American Lager - Part 3

In my continuing quest for quality American lager beer, I have been given a bottle of Summit Grand. I've had this beer before, but it's been awhile and I couldn't find any notes, so here goes.

The brothers at Beer Advocate have classified Summit Grand as an American All-Malt Lager and I would agree that this is probably the best description of this beer. The beer pours gold with good amount of carbonation that builds a pretty decent (one-finger) head of foam. The head falls fairly quickly to miniscule collar. The nose on this beer is pretty decent somewhat floral with hops, but also malty. The malt flavor is crisp with some toasted malt highlights. Overall, the flavor almost borders on being sweet, but the finish is crisp and just dry enough to enhance drinkability. I seems to also seem to be picking a very slight sweet-sour tang in the finish; almost a kind of mineral-like "zip" to the beer. This is definitely a good golden lager for colder weather; I think this beer could come across a touch cloying or at least too sweet in the heat of summer.

No comments: