Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Roastaroma Brown Ale racked

I'm optimistic about the brown ale (see previous post). I racked to the secondary today, as I noticed that the airlock was no longer bubbling and the gravity was seemed a few points to high. The beer was quite murky, so there's still a lot of yeast suspension that I suspect will ferment the beer so more in the secondary. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to bottle in about five days.

The sample I poured off to take a gravity reading was very murky brown, smelled a touch sour and quite spicy (I could detect the spices from the Celestial Seasonings Roastaroma tea that I added at the end of the boil.) I could taste the spices, too. I couldn't detect any of the sulfur that was produced in the early stages of fermentation. The hops were kept in check. The brown ale flavor was good; mostly caramel flavor with a roasted coffee edge. The finish was tart, but also a touch bitter. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments: