Sunday, April 09, 2006

Mmm...IPA


Well, the IPA I brewed a few weeks back is already half gone, which should give some indication of how it turned out. It's a sort of mahogany colored beer with some caramel nuttiness in the aroma, big hops in the flavor and a pretty bitter finish. It's a bit darker than I thought, almost a brown ale, but I guess that's the dark caramel malts I used adding a lot of color.

I've gone ahead and brewed another batch, this time modifying the recipe somehwat, and using more extract. I'm planning on racking the beer with some dry hops, too. (I didn't use any dry hops in the first batch.) I'm hoping the new batch of IPA turns out as good as the first, if not better.

Before I rack the IPA to the secondary, I'll have bottle a Belgian-style saison that I've brewed. The saison has been fermenting for about two weeks now. I was pretty surprised when the gravity dropped 40 points in five days -- that's a pretty healthy fermentation. I used the Wyeast Belgian Ardennes yeast. I had planned to add another yeast (Safale T-58) to further bring down the gravitiy, but I didn't think it was necessary.

No comments: