This past Sunday was a busy day for brewing -- well, not brewing per se -- but racking and bottling. I bottled the Red IPA and it's turned out a bit thin, which is probably due to the low finishing gravity -- which is probably due to the extra long mash (almost two hours.) I dry hopped the IPA with two ounces of pellets and that seemed to muck things up quite a bit. I had to leave about a half gallon of beer because of all the floating and settled hops. I was a little bummed out about this, but it was kind of expected, and the four gallons I did bottle should have an alcohol of 6.5 percent by volume -- so less of a stronger than expected beer.
Once I bottled the IPA, I racked the saison in the empty carboy. It had a much higher gravity of 1.018, so I decided to go through with my plan for adding an additional yeast to dry the beer. I was a bit surprised at the amount of fermentation activity (about a half inch of foam) and how quickly the yeast sprung into action. It will be interesting to see how far the gravity drops in this beer. I also added an ounce of Styrian Goldings pellets. I'll probably give the beer a couple weeks for the hops to settle out.