Wednesday, December 08, 2004

"Special Reserve" gets bottled and kegged

I bottled up the Marcobrau Special Reserve last night. The bottling went pretty well, netting 17 twelve-ounce bottles, seven 16-ounce bottles and one mini-keg. My mini-keg is starting to rust and I'm not sure if I want to buy more kegs, migrate to the Tap-A-Draft system, or back to the Party Pig. Any advice is appreciated. The first miniature kegging system I used was the Party Pig, but I experienced a lot of inconsistency with the carbonation. The biggest problem with the mini-keg (aside from the rust) is that I tend to get a lot of yeast in the glass when I tap the beer. I'd move to a full-size kegging system (5 gallon cornelius kegs) but I like to bottle part of each batch and I've heard too many stories about counterpressure bottle fillers.

Meanwhile, the Special Reserve is one hoppy ale, not too mention the extra Chinook hops I added to the mini-keg. I'm very much looking forward to tasting it some more in few weeks!

No comments: