Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Bottling Leftovers London; Birthday Brown Gets Born

Time for an overdue report on the Leftovers London Ale. I bottled it up after 10 days and now it's been 10 more days in the bottle and the mini-keg. The mini-keg will sit for probably another week or two, meanwhile I've popped a tester bottle and the results are very interesting. The first thing I noticed about this beer was that it was highly carbonated. I used two thirds corn sugar to prime, but I'm wondering if I read my measuring cup wrong again and measured three quarters a cup. Other than the high carbonation, neither myself or Lady Heathen Soul could detect any off flavors. We were mostly struck by the effervescence and pale color. This beer turned out less hoppy and a little less bitter than I thought, but the hops end up being rather balanced with the malt. It will probably take more experimentation, but I don't think first wort hops contribute that much bitterness. The wheat seems to have added a little to the mouthfeel and certainly to the head retention. The body is a bit lighter than I had hoped; this may be due to my relatively low mash temp of 148 F. This would be a really good beer if there was another couple of months of summer! I think I'm going to rename this one Sparkling London Ale; as it sort of reminds me of Coopers Sparkling (not a bad thing.) It will be interesting to see how this batch matures.

This past Saturday I took shelter from the rain outside in the comfort my kitchen, also known as the brewhouse, and made a brown ale. I decided on a brown ale because I thought it would be a good beer for autumn. I was also reminiscing the other day about how the time I brewed an autumnal brown ale with my friend Ryan at the defunct Brewing Company No. 9 in Chicago. I used a few different malts that I'm hoping will add complexity to this brew. I also used first wort hops again as well as hops in the mash. Here is the recipe.

No comments: